Most people start the New Year with resolutions that quickly fade or fail leaving people with a feeling of sluggishness. Sweet !!
I want to offer an alternative and that is to make 2012 intentional !! Let’s start with a story . . .
I went to SHRM Leadership this past fall with other SHRM State and Chapter leaders and directors. Many people spent time with folks from their own state or region because they’re familiar with each other and it is a great time to get away. I, on the other hand, spent much of my time meeting great folks from Illinois, Florida, Alaska, Kansas, SHRM staff, etc. I couldn’t get enough of meeting HR folks from other areas to see how we connect. To me, this was the best way to spend time because there are so many amazing HR pros all over that do great things. I had to see what they were doing.
I know that the whole “social media” thing can be overwhelming and noisy. However, I find there are folks developing and sharing great content that you can use in many facets of our work. We need to stop thinking that isolation works for us as a profession and do what we can to be more connected.
Now, I’m not sure what that looks like for you, but let me list some suggestions:
- If you’re someone who reads blogs – take a step and leave a comment. Bloggers love to hear from folks who read their work. If you feel compelled, then comment.
- If you haven’t been to a local HR forum, then go to one. Try them out and see where you can connect in person with other great HR folks !!
- If you haven’t been to a conference or Unconference, then make plans to go to one this year. You’ll find incredible people, just like you, connecting and learning more to advance the profession.
- If you haven’t met folks in person, then take the steps to do that !! One of the true highlights I had in 2011 was meeting social media HR folks in person. It has led to incredible personal and professional relationships.
- If you’ve just been service oriented in HR at work, change that and be intentional !! Organizations expect HR to be dynamic, relevant and integrated. Take the steps to make that happen !!
It’s just a start, but I hope that you take the next step to be more intentional. I’ve already been making plans to meet more great HR folks in person and I’m using the same list for myself. It’s time to take action !! Will you join me ??